Definition of hopsack in English:
1A coarse clothing fabric of a loose plain weave: [as modifier]: casual hopsack trousers
More example sentences
- All the hopsacks I have seen feel too heavy for summer.
- Most papers are available in up to five colourways each and all are matched by co-ordinating hopsacks in plain colours.
- The woven fabrics used for sportswear tend to relatively simple, often plain weave, but ribs, cords, hopsacks, twills and satins may be useful for certain purposes.
1.1 [count noun] A coarse hemp sack used for hops.
- The closing campaign celebration was a ‘Senior Leader Triathlon’ where pairs of senior executives competed in a race involving hopsacks, tricycles and a three-legged race to the finish.
- Don't let me catch you with your head in the hopsacks!
Definition of hopsack in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan