- A hydrangea of a group of varieties that have large rounded flower heads composed chiefly of sterile florets. Compare with lacecap.
More example sentences
- Hydrangea macrophylla vars., family Hydrangeaceae
- The big white, pink, or blue hortensias (Hydrangea macrophylla, zones 6 to 9) are now available in smaller varieties.
- Within two years of the first publication in 1922, Joyce sent his patron Harriet Shaw Weaver a letter in which he reported receiving hortensias from a group of admirers of the novel to mark June 16.
- [Buyer] has bought and received hortensias from [Seller] in December 1997 for a total amount of Dutch Florins [DFL] 41,413.95.
late 18th century: modern Latin, named after Hortense, wife of J.-A. Lepaute (1720–circa87), French clockmaker.