The art or practice of garden cultivation and management: [with modifier]: maize and manioc horticulture
More example sentences
- To celebrate its bicentenary it has created seven historical gardens to show how horticulture has evolved over the last 200 years.
- The Government must take immediate steps to protect wildlife on peat bogs and to signal an end to peat use in gardening and horticulture.
- Even our resident neighbourhood expert, a woman with a degree in horticulture, was not very useful.
- Example sentences
- Charlie Nardozzi is senior horticulturist at National Gardening.
- According to Michael Dirr, horticulturist with the Department of Horticulture at the University of Georgia, the flowers are magnificent, but the plant is a headache for the rest of the year.
- Georgiana Marshen is a master horticulturist and freelance garden writer.
Late 17th century: from Latin hortus 'garden', on the pattern of agriculture.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: horti|cul¦ture
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.