Definition of hot-swap in English:
verb[with object] informal
Fit or replace (a computer part) with the power still connected: the hard disk can be hot-swapped
More example sentences
- The Evo D500 line also features a MultiBay for hot-swapping removable storage devices such as floppy disk, CD-ROM, CD-RW or DVD drives.
- They also offer failover mechanisms, such as redundant hot-swap robotics, power supplies and drives.
- A disk failure is now an afterthought, with customer-serviceable hot-swap disk drives, global hot spares, and algorithms to predict when a disk is going to fail before it actually fails so that it can be replaced ahead of time.
- Example sentences
- Four standard hot-swappable Ultra 320 SCSI drive bays are available for more than 570GB of internal storage.
- The system can support up to 16 hot-swappable Serial ATA and SCSI hard disk drives.
- Either way, the HDD inside is specified to be bootable and hot-swappable.
Definition of hot-swap in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan