verb[no object, with adverbial]
- 1Remain in one place in the air: Army helicopters hovered overheadMore example sentences
- Overhead, a helicopter hovers at such a low height that it only just clears the occasional overpass bridges that appear.
- Sumner compared it to the difference between a helicopter passing overhead or hovering.
- Overhead 10 helicopters hovered, cameramen and photographers ready to shoot the action.
- 1.1Remain poised uncertainly in one place or between two states: her hand hovered over the console his expression hovered between cynicism and puzzlementMore example sentences
- Leanne's hand hovered over a large, blue button on her console, preparing to press it.
- The ice storm hovered over the Ontario and Quebec area until Jan. 14.
- Thick, low clouds hovered over Jay's house like fists ready to strike.
- 1.2Linger close at hand in an uncertain manner: she hovered anxiously in the backgroundMore example sentences
- So he hovered close and waited, and in the middle of the third week, his vigilance paid off.
- As I stammered my way to buying a bag of apples, and my classmates donned other wacky guises, Ralph hovered close by to cast a critical eye and ear over our performances.
- We hover close enough that I can see the matted clumps in the bear's shaggy, pale brown coat.
- 1.3Remain at or near a particular level: inflation will hover around the 4 per cent markMore example sentences
- With fuel prices hovering near record high levels, can any carrier turn a profit?
- The CDC reported deaths as a whole from influenza hovering near epidemic levels.
- Gas prices continue to hover near record levels, but if you think you're paying too much at the pump that may be the least of your worries.
noun[in singular] Back to top
- An act of hovering: keep the model in a stable hoverMore example sentences
- As we lifted on the signal, a squadron officer called for the pilot to bring the aircraft to a stable hover.
- I fought my way toward spot 4, and the crewman signaled me to land as soon as I achieved a stable hover.
- We located that raft and began the recovery process from as stable a hover as possible.
- More example sentences
- But more than that - it's given the hoverers, the aboriginal people and their children, somewhere to go.
- Some experts are saying that parents have gone too far and are becoming hoverers, lambasting their kids' behaviors at daycare (as seen on a webcam) or on a test score (posted online).
- I was definitely a hoverer.
late Middle English: from archaic hove 'hover, linger', of unknown origin.