noun (plural hoverflies)
- A fly which frequently hovers motionless in the air and feeds on the nectar of flowers. Most hoverflies are black and yellow, patterned to mimic various bees and wasps.
More example sentences
- Family Syrphidae: numerous genera and species
- Many insects, such as ground beetles, hoverflies and ladybirds, can keep pests under control - but not if they've been destroyed by chemical sprays.
- These will encourage bees and hoverflies to visit, pollinating the flowers and controlling any aphids present.
- Recently many of us have begun to plant flowers in the vegetable garden to deter pests by attracting beneficial insects such as ladybirds and hoverflies.