Definition of hubris in English:
1Excessive pride or self-confidence: the self-assured hubris among economists was shaken in the late 1980s
More example sentences
- Arrogance, hubris, blind patriotism, and good old fashioned fear are our real enemy!
- As a Christian I am well aware that pride and hubris precede a fall.
- His enemies prefer to see him as a victim, once again, of his own arrogance, of hubris, and an addiction to taking himself too seriously.
1.1(In Greek tragedy) excessive pride towards or defiance of the gods, leading to nemesis.
- The terms hamartia and hubris should become basic tools of your critical apparatus.
- The arc of the members' lives follows precisely the classic Greek model of destiny, hubris and nemesis.
- Throughout the genre, since its beginning, nemesis has clobbered hubris.
Words that rhyme with hubrisbuttress
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan