Definition of huffy in English:
adjective (huffier, huffiest)
Annoyed or irritated and quick to take offence at petty things: ask writers for more than a second draft and they get huffy the old ladies made a huffy pretence of being uninterested
More example sentences
- Another huffy tantrum ensued, which some quick, timely clay-shaping and fast talking intercepted.
- As a result, they can find emotional situations more confusing, leading to the petulant, huffy behaviour adolescents are notorious for.
- As someone who's often a tech-support resource for others, I try to be patient, because the people I know are smart, and it's better to try to explain what the problem is than to get all huffy.
irritable, irritated, annoyed, cross, grumpy, huffish, bad-tempered, crotchety, crabby, crabbed, cantankerous, curmudgeonly, moody, petulant, miserable, morose, sullen, surly, churlish;
North American informalsoreheaded, peckish
Australian/New Zealand snaky
vulgar slangpissed off
- Example sentences
- ‘I don't pretend to understand all of the complex parts of Christian theology,’ he retaliated rather huffily, ‘but I accept it.’
- ‘Besides,’ he adds huffily, ‘I'm actually almost 50, and regard the description as most insulting.’
- I let her out and she stalked off huffily into the garden just in time to say goodbye to Sal and Dan, who gave me a pretty carved elephant from their trip to India.
- Example sentences
- However, beyond his huffiness over having his ignorance pointed out, Tristan makes a good point as well: many if not all claims to the foreshore and seabed before our current state were in regards to fishing and collecting shellfish.
- I need not have concerned myself, they both returned home in good humour, there was little evidence of the usual huffiness and stand-offishness we are normally greeted with.
- ‘It's not just playing,’ says the kid with sudden huffiness.
Words that rhyme with huffyfluffy, puffy, roughie, roughy, scruffy, snuffy, stuffy, toughie
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.