Definition of humectant in English:
- He also warns against using humectant moisturizers near your eyes; these products bind water to help keep skin hydrated but can have the side effect of creating puffy eyes.
- Classified as humectants, they have benefits in addition to humectant properties.
- And adding a humectant ingredient, such as glycerin, helps to draw needed moisture to the skin.
nounBack to top
- Hand lotions or skin moisturizers are either humectants or lipids.
- The humectants hold moisture in contact with the skin.
- Another alternative is to use humectants, which prevent water loss by attracting moisture.
early 19th century (denoting a moistening agent): from Latin humectant- 'moistening', from the verb humectare, from humectus 'moist, wet', from humere 'be moist'.
Definition of humectant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.