(also hurray /hʊˈreɪ/)
An utterance of the word ‘hurrah’: they gave us a loud hurrah as we went by
More example sentences
- Everyone ought to lead a parade once in their life, just to experience the curious sensation of marching down the middle of the street to cheers and hurrahs.
- But when you are woken up by jugglers throwing batons and chainsaws, and all the hurrahs, that gets a little annoying.
- Actually, the Italian Prime Minister deserves a double chorus of hurrahs!
Shout ‘hurrah’: we waved our swords and hurrahed
More example sentences
- The young men, fired by the strong wine, shouted and hurrahed, and shrieked, and such a din arose as threatened to drown the music.
- Bridget hurrahed, and they ran home to our raised-ranch with raised-hopes!
- The whole auditorium echoed with the shouts, whistles, and clapping of the group of kids, it was certainly intoxicating to be there; one couldn't help but break out clapping, and hurrahing themselves.
Late 17th century: alteration of huzza; perhaps originally a sailors' cry when hauling.
Words that rhyme with hurrahaargh, Accra, afar, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, ajar, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, cigar, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, galah, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hussar, huzza, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, moire, nam pla, Navarre, noir, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spa, spar, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Twa, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hur¦rah
Definition of hurrah in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.