- A rodent resembling a cavy, with short legs and tail, found only in the Caribbean.
More example sentences
- Family Capromyidae: two genera, in particular Capromys, and several species, some of which are now extinct
- It was said to be slightly larger than a hutia and was a source of food for natives.
- The most visible animal on the base is the hutia, known as the ‘banana rat’ by residents here.
- This nocturnal hutia feeds on roots, bark, shoots, fruit, and foliage of many different plants.
mid 16th century: from Spanish, from Taino huti, cuti.