noun[mass noun] Genetics
- The tendency of a cross-bred individual to show qualities superior to those of both parents. Also called heterosis.More example sentences
- The molecular basis of hybrid vigor has remained unknown despite the importance of this phenomenon in evolution and in practical breeding programs.
- The causes of inbreeding depression and the converse phenomenon of heterosis or hybrid vigor remain poorly understood despite their scientific and agricultural importance.
- Utilization of hybrid vigor or heterosis has been successful in cross-pollinated crops, of which maize is a primary example.
More definitions of hybrid vigourDefinition of hybrid vigour in:
- The US English dictionary