A minute freshwater coelenterate with a stalk-like tubular body and a ring of tentacles around the mouth.
- Genus Hydra, class Hydrozoa
- The Phylum Cnidaria includes such diverse forms as jellyfish, hydra, sea anemones, and corals.
- The same is true for hydra, a freshwater cnidarian.
- There are some animals that don't belong to the Bilateria, though: members of the phylum Cnidaria, the jellyfish, hydra, sea anemones, and corals, which are typically radially symmetric.
1.1 (as noun hydra) A thing which is hard to overcome or resist because of its pervasive or enduring quality or its many aspects: his battle with the hydra of bureaucracy
More example sentences
- Database scalability is a many-headed hydra that's hard to define, let alone tame.
- Yet it appears that multi-headed hydra, our scientific research establishment, is pulling in more than 200 different directions.
- We might have to strike back at some heads on this terrorist hydra, try not to slaughter innocents, and swallow the collateral damage.
Via Latin from Greek hudra.
Words that rhyme with HydraLycra
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.