(also hydrogen sulfide)
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A colourless poisonous gas with a smell of bad eggs, made by the action of acids on sulphides.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: H2S
- The four usual agents of deterioration in the air apart from oxygen and water are sulphur dioxide, hydrogen sulphide, ozone and nitrogen dioxide.
- The gas component may be ethane, propane, butane, carbon dioxide, or hydrogen sulphide, but is most commonly methane.
- Several other gases are known to combine with water to form gas hydrates, including carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulphide, but by far the most common in marine sediments are methane hydrates.
More definitions of hydrogen sulphideDefinition of hydrogen sulphide in:
- The US English dictionary