Definition of hydrolysis in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
The chemical breakdown of a compound due to reaction with water.
- Another preparation method involves acid hydrolysis of methyl formate.
- On ageing, textiles are usually damaged by oxidation or acid-catalysed hydrolysis.
- Digestion breaks down chemical bonds in a process called enzymatic hydrolysis.
- Example sentences
- Protein phosphatases comprise a broad group of enzymes that catalyse the hydrolytic cleavage of phosphate from proteins.
- Results showed that increasing the pectolyase concentration in the hydrolytic solutions led to an increase of the digestibility of elicited cell walls.
- They form acidic, hydrolytic compartments and also store a range of ions and metabolites and, in some tissues, proteins and other macromolecules.
Definition of hydrolysis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan