Relating to or denoting the action of heated water in the earth’s crust.
- It contains structures called hydrothermal (hot water) vents, which spew superheated fluids into the seawater.
- Because hydrothermal water is rich in certain metals, like manganese, an increase in the concentration in a sample can point to a vent.
- Some scientists lump ocean water with meteoric, whereas others regard it as a separate type of water in hydrothermal systems.
- Example sentences
- The deposits occur as veins, vein series, and stockwork zones hosted by hydrothermally altered rocks.
- A third of the original edifice was removed, mainly from the southern part, leaving exposed a hydrothermally altered core.
- They have an underlying hydrothermally altered zone and contain abundant copper, zinc, and lead sulphides.
Definition of hydrothermal in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.