adjectivechiefly Chemistry & Geology
- Containing water as a constituent: a hydrous lava flowMore example sentences
- Limonite is not a mineral species as such, but rather a mixture of amorphous hydrous iron oxides.
- Because zeolites form in hydrous environments, typically through alteration of igneous rocks, they may ultimately be found on Mars, if liquid water did once exist on that planet.
- More likely, however, is that any water would become incorporated in the rock through formation of hydrous minerals as the reaction fronts advance.
early 19th century: from Greek hudro- 'water' + -ous.
More definitions of hydrousDefinition of hydrous in:
- The US English dictionary