A membrane which partially closes the opening of the vagina and whose presence is traditionally taken to be a mark of virginity.
More example sentences
- A thin sheet of tissue with 1 or more holes in it called the hymen partially covers the opening of the vagina.
- Girls frequently have a membrane called the hymen around the vaginal opening.
- Women have a membrane called the hymen that partially covers the entrance to the vagina.
mid 16th century: via late Latin from Greek humēn 'membrane'.
- More example sentences
- The running suture is carried to the hymenal ring and tied proximal to the ring, completing closure of the vaginal mucosa and rectovaginal fascia.
- The most common hymenal configurations are crescentic, annular, cuff-like, septate and fimbriated.
- A vertical incision is made in the vestibule over the center of the cyst and outside the hymenal ring.
Definition of hymen in:
- The US English dictionary