Anatomy & Zoology
Definition of hyoid in English:
(also hyoid bone) A U-shaped bone in the neck which supports the tongue.
- In most vertebrates the hyoid supports the tongue, as it does in the snake-necked turtle.
- I included all muscles associated with the jaws, tongue and hyoid, palate, and pharynx.
- Freeing the tongue from the hyoid removes a limit on tongue excursion imposed by the basic architecture of the mammalian feeding apparatus.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the hyoid or structures associated with it.
- Speech requires flexibility of the upper airway, including laryngeal and hyoid mobility and separation of the hard palate from the epiglottis.
- Again, we see that the mandibular and hyoid arches are developmentally different from the rest of the series.
- The mechanism by which these fish capture prey involves upper jaw protrusion, lower jaw depression, hyoid depression, and cranial rotation.
Definition of hyoid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan