noun[mass noun] Medicine
An excess of glucose in the bloodstream, often associated with diabetes mellitus.
- Three key features of diabetic acidosis are hyperglycemia, ketosis, and acidosis.
- He suffered myocardial infarction in 1994 and has diabetes mellitus, hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia, and impaired renal function.
- Cardiovascular disease is substantially increased in diabetes, with hyperglycaemia an independent risk factor.
- Example sentences
- The initiating event in hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state is glucosuric diuresis.
- The initial data collection demonstrated our institution has poor postoperative CABG hyperglycemic management.
- The treatment of the hyperglycaemic Struldbrugg is not straightforward either.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hyper|gly¦caemia
Definition of hyperglycaemia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.