- A greenish rock-forming mineral of the orthopyroxene class, consisting of a magnesium iron silicate.More example sentences
- Other associated minerals include olivine, phlogopite, enstatite (hypersthene), and many other trace accessory minerals.
- How about apatite, apophyllite, axinite, chlorite, hypersthene, scapolite, serpentine, tantalite, and wolframite?
- The plagioclase feldspar weathers to produce a whitish gray rock, while the mafic minerals (olivine, augite and hypersthene) produce contrasting darker grains.
early 19th century: coined in French, from hyper- 'exceeding' + Greek sthenos 'strength' (because it is harder than hornblende).
More definitions of hyperstheneDefinition of hypersthene in:
- The US English dictionary