Definition of hyperventilate in English:
1Breathe or cause to breathe at an abnormally rapid rate, so increasing the rate of loss of carbon dioxide: [no object]: she started to hyperventilate under stress [with object]: the patients were hyperventilated for two minutes
More example sentences
- In times of extreme stress, people may shake uncontrollably, hyperventilate (breathe faster and deeper than normal) or even vomit.
- Subjects may hyperventilate for several minutes before diving to increase underwater time.
- These changes contribute to the high anion gap that hyperventilating patients may demonstrate, as observed initially in this patient.
- Example sentences
- And it would cause the hyperventilation to go away.
- Also required are mantras that can pace inhalations and exhalations, so as not to give the impression of hyperventilation.
- My wife, Erin, translated what I was trying to say through grunts, screams, and hyperventilation, into words.
Words that rhyme with hyperventilateventilate
Definition of hyperventilate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.