noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A weak acid with oxidizing properties formed when chlorine dissolves in cold water and used in bleaching and water treatment.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: HOCl
- It has been demonstrated, for example, that NAC has the ability to scavenge hydrogen peroxide, hypochlorous acid and the hydroxyl radical.
- In mammalian neutrophils, myeloperoxidase is a key player, converting hydrogen peroxide to hypochlorous acid.
- This effect would be exacerbated if hypochlorous acid inactivates proteinase inhibitor by oxidizing its critical methionine residue.
- More example sentences
- The hypochlorite ion is an oxidizing agent that sterilizes water by ridding it of microorganisms.
- Common household cleaners can contain simple inorganic chemicals such as sodium hypochlorite or hydrochloric acid.
- Chloroform can be made from ethanol by reacting the ethanol with calcium hypochlorite.
More definitions of hypochlorous acidDefinition of hypochlorous acid in:
- The US English dictionary