(Of a plant or flower) having the stamens and other floral parts situated below the carpels (or gynoecium). Compare with epigynous, perigynous.
More example sentences
- The hypogynous, 5-lobed nectariferous disc considerably exceeds the ovary in volume.
- Flowers are purplish-pink in colour and are hypogynous.
- A flower is hypogynous if the perianth and androecium are inserted around the base of the gynoecium.
- More example sentences
- Lychee seed contain parts of hypogynies like those found in the akee.
- Thus, apparent hypogyny is not homologous with true hypogyny in other angiosperms; in this case it is the result of not very inferior ovaries.
- There are also parallel but less constant series from apocarpy to syncarpy, and from hypogyny through perigyny to epigyny.
Definition of hypogynous in:
- The US English dictionary