Definition of hypokalaemia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Deficiency of potassium in the bloodstream.
- Underlying causes of atrial fibrillation should be treated, including infection, congestive heart failure, hypoxia, hypokalemia and pneumonia.
- We have found aldosterone antagonists especially helpful in patients with persistent hypokalemia despite potassium replacement.
- More potassium is given if hypokalemia is present.
- hypokalaemic adjective
- Example sentences
- Hypochloremic, hypokalemic, or metabolic alkalosis might be present in patients who purge.
- A report in the Internal Medicine Journal describes a patient with chronic caffeine toxicity manifesting as hypokalaemic myopathy.
- Consumers should not take glycyrrhizin while fasting or if they are hypokalemic, pregnant, or diabetic.
1940s: from hypo- 'below' + modern Latin kalium 'potassium'.
Definition of hypokalaemia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.