noun (plural hypophyses /-siːz/)Anatomy
- technical term for pituitary.More example sentences
- As an example, the beta cell of the anterior lobe of the hypophysis secretes adrenocorticotropic hormone.
- The internal carotid artery supplies blood to the middle ear, brain, hypophysis, orbit, and choroid plexus of the lateral ventricle.
- This gland, also termed the hypophysis cerebri, lies in a bony cavity, the sella turcica, so called because it was thought to resemble a Turkish saddle.
late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek hupophusis 'offshoot', from hupo 'under' + phusis 'growth'.
More definitions of hypophysisDefinition of hypophysis in:
- The US English dictionary