noun (plural hypophyses /hʌɪˈpɒfɪsiːz/)Anatomy
Technical term for pituitary.
- As an example, the beta cell of the anterior lobe of the hypophysis secretes adrenocorticotropic hormone.
- The internal carotid artery supplies blood to the middle ear, brain, hypophysis, orbit, and choroid plexus of the lateral ventricle.
- This gland, also termed the hypophysis cerebri, lies in a bony cavity, the sella turcica, so called because it was thought to resemble a Turkish saddle.
(also hypophysial) adjective
- Example sentences
- An embryonic remnant, it opens in the hypophyseal fossa, traversing the sphenoid body.
- There were also anastomoses with the superior hypophyseal artery.
- The hypophyseal fossa is filled with sediment.
Late 17th century: modern Latin, from Greek hupophusis 'offshoot', from hupo 'under' + phusis 'growth'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hyp|ophy¦sis
Definition of hypophysis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.