noun (plural hypothalami /ˌhʌɪpə(ʊ)ˈθaləmʌɪ/)Anatomy
A region of the forebrain below the thalamus which coordinates both the autonomic nervous system and the activity of the pituitary, controlling body temperature, thirst, hunger, and other homeostatic systems, and involved in sleep and emotional activity.
- The brain also links with endocrine gland chemical messengers through the hypothalamus and pituitary gland.
- The central structure of the brain contains the thalamus, hypothalamus, and pituitary gland.
- Normally the hypothalamus coordinates the activity of the pituitary gland through the secretion of peptides and amines.
- Example sentences
- And oestriol is a measure of the function of the hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis, or the HPA axis in the foetus.
- Amygdaloid nuclei and the hypothalamic structures are known to have intimate functional relationships.
- Common nervous system manifestations include facial palsies, and hypothalamic and pituitary lesions.
Words that rhyme with hypothalamuscalamus, thalamus
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: hypo|thal¦amus
Definition of hypothalamus in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.