- 1Similar in every detail; exactly alike: four girls in identical green outfits the passage on the second floor was identical to the one belowMore example sentences
similar, alike, (exactly) the same, indistinguishable, uniform, twin, interchangeable, undifferentiated, homogeneous, of a piece, cut from the same cloth; corresponding, correspondent, commensurate, equivalent, matching, like, parallel, analogous, comparable, cognate, equal
- For the final day, Torrance has picked an outfit identical to the one he wore while sinking that putt 17 years ago.
- It was otherwise identical to the other Pizza Express restaurants in every detail.
- To the untrained ear, the Wagnerian clarinet sounds almost identical to its more modern cousin.
- 1.1(Of twins) developed from a single fertilized ovum, and therefore of the same sex and usually very similar in appearance. Compare with fraternal ( sense 2).More example sentences
- Siamese twins are identical twins who develop with a single placenta from a single zygote.
- If one of a pair of identical twins develops leukaemia, in one out of four cases the other will also do so, within weeks or months.
- In his place now stands Cary, Grant's identical twin brother plus an extra hundred pounds.
- 1.2 [attributive] (Of something encountered on separate occasions) the same: she stole a suitcase from the identical station at which she had been arrested beforeMore example sentences
- The solicitor should not be exposed to two separate actions for the identical loss.
- Does a restaurant get three stars here only if the identical restaurant would get three stars in Paris?
- 2 Logic & Mathematics Expressing an identity: an identical propositionMore example sentences
- Two sets are said to be identical when for each element of the one set an identical element of the other set can be given.
- When the series terminates with the identical operation, G is said to be an integrable group; in the contrary case G is called non- integrable.
- More example sentences
- In this context names can clash even if they are not spelled identically - mere phonetic similarity is enough to bar a name.
- The signaling pathway is modeled identically in both the compartment and the cell.
- There was a guard at each of the gates, dressed identically in black uniforms.