- A person who worships an idol or idols.More example sentences
- In the eyes of idolaters, the idol was seen neither as the source of their existence nor as the source of their well-being.
- They were not idolaters as some religiously intolerant groups might suggest; no learned people actually worshipped the sun as God literally.
- In other words, I would say that idolatry not only dishonors God and demeans the idolater; it ultimately leads to the destruction of the hapless idol itself.
late Middle English: from Old French idolatre, based on Greek eidōlolatrēs, from eidōlon (see idol) + -latrēs 'worshipper'.
More definitions of idolaterDefinition of idolater in:
- The US English dictionary