- She has been sulking since she climbed out of the bed, ignoring me and refusing to answer my questions.
- The travellers have been issued with a court summons after they ignored an earlier removal notice.
- Sadly, despite complaints, Tesco takes no notice and continues to ignore the public.
- He failed to consider or ignored some important aspects of my evidence.
- Essex motorists are widely ignoring new rules banning the use of hand held mobiles in cars, figures released by police reveal.
- To accuse France and Germany of ignoring the rules is simply to repeat a slanderous allegation often put forward as fact.
- Example sentences
- Previously, an attack on a French ship or an attack on an Indonesian resort unfamiliar to Americans would be ignored in America as only part of the usual white noise playing in the eminently ignorable outside world.
- Still, this hardly puts enough of a blight on the play - if anything, MacDonnell is eminently ignorable - to stop me from recommending it unreservedly.
- Then there's the back-channel chatter among bloggers about one of our own that's crossed the line from ignorable to Orange-alert levels.
- Example sentences
- I have known for years that psychologists are not really interested in the evidence for or against their theories and in recent years I have had to add most climate scientists to the league of the evidence ignorers.
Late 15th century (in the sense 'be ignorant of'): from French ignorer or Latin ignorare 'not know, ignore', from in- 'not' + gno-, a base meaning 'know'. Current senses date from the early 19th century.
Words that rhyme with ignoreabhor, adore, afore, anymore, ashore, awe, bandore, Bangalore, before, boar, Boer, bore, caw, chore, claw, cocksure, comprador, cor, core, corps, craw, Delors, deplore, door, draw, drawer, evermore, explore, flaw, floor, for, forbore, fore, foresaw, forevermore, forswore, four, fourscore, furthermore, Gábor, galore, gnaw, gore, grantor, guarantor, guffaw, hard-core, Haugh, haw, hoar, implore, Indore, interwar, jaw, Johor, Lahore, law, lessor, lor, lore, macaw, man-o'-war, maw, mirador, mor, more, mortgagor, Mysore, nevermore, nor, oar, obligor, offshore, onshore, open-jaw, or, ore, outdoor, outwore, paw, poor, pore, pour, rapport, raw, roar, saw, scaur, score, senhor, señor, shaw, ship-to-shore, shop-floor, shore, signor, Singapore, snore, soar, softcore, sore, spore, store, straw, swore, Tagore, tau, taw, thaw, Thor, threescore, tor, tore, torr, trapdoor, tug-of-war, two-by-four, underfloor, underscore, war, warrantor, Waugh, whore, withdraw, wore, yaw, yore, your
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ig¦nore
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.