noun[mass noun or in singular] Medicine
- A painful obstruction of the ileum or other part of the intestine.More example sentences
- Gastric retention occurs in many gastric lesions besides outlet obstruction, like gastritis and gastric motor disturbances, and intestinal dilatation occurs in gastroenteritis and ileus, besides obstruction.
- It may also represent an ileus related to peritonitis or reflex ileus from pain referred to the abdomen from a thoracic disease like pulmonary infarction, pneumonia, or myocardial infarction.
- This case occurred in a 19-year-old man with small bowel ileus following Klebsiella pneumonia.
late 17th century: from Latin, from Greek eileos, ilios 'colic', apparently from eilein 'to roll'.
More definitions of ileusDefinition of ileus in:
- The US English dictionary