Definition of ilex in English:
1The holm oak.
- It is made from the dried, pulverized bodies of a scale insect, Coccus ilicis, which is a parasite on an ilex oak, the kermes oak.
- Set beneath the canopy of a large ilex, Campo Baeza's building is composed of two parts: an ethereal superstructure and a horizontal concrete platform.
- In 1998 the Council of State agreed to the demolition of the ‘Monster of Vietri’, a hotel built by pulverizing an ilex wood and the shoreline on the Amalfi coast.
2A tree or shrub of a genus that includes holly and its relatives.
- Genus Ilex, family Aquifoliaceae
- Areas of granite and sandstone became colonized by maquis, a low, dense cover of ilex, briars, broom, tree heathers, and laurels.
- Increasing numbers of walkers are attracted by the network of well-marked footpaths on the Portofino promontory to the west - a wild, rocky place bristling with myrtle, gorse, hawthorn and ilex.
- They walked together in Maximus's garden, down white colonnades, around marble ponds fringed with mosaic, through a complex of rose-beds, past ornamental balconies and sculptured ilexes.
late Middle English: from Latin, 'holm oak'.
Words that rhyme with ilexsilex
Definition of ilex in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan