- Uncomfortable or embarrassed.More example sentences
awkward, uneasy, uncomfortable, self-conscious, out of place, unnatural, inhibited, gauche, strained; embarrassed, shy, bashful, blushing, retiring, shrinking; unsure, uncertain, unsettled, hesitant, faltering; restless, restive, fidgety, unrelaxed, disquieted, disturbed, discomfited, troubled, worried, anxious, on edge, edgy, nervous, tense, on tenterhooks; apprehensive, distrustful; British nervyNorth American • informal antsy• rare unquiet
- Why did he seem so ill at ease, so uncomfortable with the role he had to play?
- She had become very uncomfortable and ill at ease when visiting her parents and suffered chronic tension.
- It made him uncomfortable and ill at ease, and he felt she was trying to keep him there in the pilothouse.
More definitions of ill at easeDefinition of ill at ease in:
- The US English dictionary