Well known, respected, and admired for past achievements: his illustrious predecessor an illustrious career
More example sentences
- But it is not just his family's illustrious past which concerns the present Lord Lansdowne.
- The hotel with the illustrious past and the four-star deluxe rating must wait a little longer for a fifth star.
- He also expressed pleasure to be following in the footsteps of his illustrious predecessor Charles Darwin.
eminent, distinguished, acclaimed, noted, notable, noteworthy, prominent, pre-eminent, foremost, leading, paramount, prestigious, important, significant, influential, lionized;
esteemed, honoured, respected, exalted, venerable, august, highly regarded, well thought of, of distinction, of repute, of high standing;
- Example sentences
- Few of us grew up in Hampstead, had illustriously interesting parents, or studied at Cambridge University like she did.
- Francis Amasa Walker, the son of a noted political economist, followed illustriously in his father's footsteps, also achieving eminence as a leading statistician and educator of his time.
- Nonetheless, Nazon - who won in Wasquehal last year and, illustriously, on the Champs Elysees in 2003-always seems to bring his top game to the top event in the world.
- Example sentences
- I don't know how many of the 3,000 or so prospective students are from rural roots, but I know many of those who were from small towns would have left in awe at the illustriousness and size of the university.
- But their impact on the area, and the illustriousness of their architect surely justify salvation.
- Nobility is the ‘antiquity, splendour, and illustriousness of families, coats of arms, titles, dignities,’ Scipione Ammirato wrote in defence of the autonomies of Neapolitan feudal barons in 1580.
Words that rhyme with illustriousindustrious
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: il¦lus|tri¦ous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.