- 1At once; instantly: I rang immediately for an ambulanceMore example sentences
straight away, at once, right away, right now, instantly, now, directly, promptly, forthwith, this/that (very) minute, this/that instant, there and then, here and now, in a flash, without delay, without hesitation, without further ado, post-haste; quickly, as fast as possible, fast, speedily, with all speed, as soon as possible, a.s.a.p.; French tout de suite• informal before you can say Jack Robinson, pronto, double quick, in double quick time, p.d.q. (pretty damn quick), toot sweetIndian • informal ekdam
- I scraped once and immediately a frog sounded once from beneath the porch.
- On his return, he joined Shackleton and immediately set sail once more for the Antarctic.
- Once inside, I immediately fall in with four London guys who are also staying in our hotel.
- 2Without any intervening time or space: she was sitting immediately behind meMore example sentences
- Anyway, the place to see and be seen at the Masters is under the big oak tree that sits immediately behind the clubhouse.
- It was hit when the car immediately behind shunted into his vehicle after it was banged from behind by a third motorist.
- He was unaware that he was upside down and thought he was in the corridor immediately behind the coal train's cab.
- 2.1In direct or very close relation: they would be the states most immediately affected by any such action