Definition of impeller in English:
1The rotating part of a centrifugal pump, compressor, or other machine designed to move a fluid by rotation.
- It can also analyze flows created by assemblies with non-symmetrical enclosures, such as impellers and centrifugal pumps.
- The engine output shaft drives the torque converter's impeller, which uses fins to pump fluid - in this case engine oil - to drive vanes on the torque converter's turbine.
- The stator has one more blade than the impeller, and is designed to reroute the airflow from the fan in a more coherent way, as well as minimize fan noise.
1.1A device turned by the flow of water past a ship’s hull, used to measure speed or distance travelled.
- The distance traveled can be measured by counting the revolutions of an impeller towed behind the vessel or mounted in its hull.
- The flow of water past the transducer it contained would drive a small impeller to give an electrical signal proportional to the speed of the boat.
Words that rhyme with impellera cappella, Arabella, Bella, bestseller, Capella, cellar, Cinderella, citronella, Clarabella, corella, Daniela, Della, dispeller, dweller, Ella, expeller, favela, fella, fellah, feller, Fenella, Floella, foreteller, Heller, interstellar, Keller, Louella, Mandela, mortadella, mozzarella, Nigella, novella, paella, panatella, patella, predella, propeller, queller, quinella, repeller, rosella, rubella, salmonella, Santiago de Compostela, seller, smeller, speller, Stella, stellar, tarantella, teller, umbrella, Viyella
Definition of impeller in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.