1A painter, writer, or composer who is an exponent of impressionism.
- Under the influence of Edgar Degas and the other Impressionists the artist Mary Cassatt changed her painting style.
- With his good income as a stockbroker, Gauguin could afford to buy several paintings by Manet, Claude Monet, Auguste Renoir and other Impressionists.
- For some series he employs palettes derived from classic paintings by old masters or Impressionists.
Relating to impressionism or its exponents: an impressionist painting
More example sentences
- After I married, he once loaned us his family's Manhattan co-op with its grand view of Central Park and collection of Impressionist paintings.
- Chelsea and Kensington are the other areas known for their home furnishings and antiques, the sort of place where you can snap up a Chippendale chair or Impressionist painting.
- It was a golden era, like Impressionist painting in France.
Words that rhyme with impressionistexpressionist, progressionist, secessionist
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: im|pres¦sion|ist
Definition of impressionist in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.