Definition of impressionist in English:
1A painter, writer, or composer who is an exponent of impressionism.
- Under the influence of Edgar Degas and the other Impressionists the artist Mary Cassatt changed her painting style.
- With his good income as a stockbroker, Gauguin could afford to buy several paintings by Manet, Claude Monet, Auguste Renoir and other Impressionists.
- For some series he employs palettes derived from classic paintings by old masters or Impressionists.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to impressionism or its exponents: an impressionist painting
More example sentences
- After I married, he once loaned us his family's Manhattan co-op with its grand view of Central Park and collection of Impressionist paintings.
- Chelsea and Kensington are the other areas known for their home furnishings and antiques, the sort of place where you can snap up a Chippendale chair or Impressionist painting.
- It was a golden era, like Impressionist painting in France.
Definition of impressionist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan