Definition of inane in English:
Lacking sense or meaning; silly: don’t badger people with inane questions
More example sentences
- He kept coming out with moronic and inane comments.
- How foolish and childish and inane to think, and pray and hope, that all would justly right itself.
- It is Charles's job to appear in front of the cameras, grin and bear it and answer sometimes unbearably inane questions with whatever panache he can muster.
silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed;
British informal divvy
Scottish & Northern English informal glaikit
North American informal dumb-ass
South African informal dof
- Example sentences
- For some reason, this suddenly struck me as extremely funny, and I nearly burst out giggling inanely right there.
- I know what some of you are thinking: ‘Oh, he's far too serious, and all he does is waffle on inanely, without providing any decent links to interesting sites around the net.’
- Often I just nod inanely and mutter’ fine’ even when I am less than impressed.
- inaneness noun
- Example sentences
- Technique is a helpful ally, but if you lean a little too heavily on computer graphics and other catch gizmos, they blind a viewer with inaneness.
- I would question you further, to demonstrate the inaneness of your comment, but I deem it unworthy of my time.
Words that rhyme with inaneabstain, appertain, arcane, arraign, ascertain, attain, Bahrain, bane, blain, brain, Braine, Cain, Caine, campaign, cane, cinquain, chain, champagne, champaign, Champlain, Charmaine, chicane, chow mein, cocaine, Coleraine, Coltrane, complain, constrain, contain, crane, Dane, deign, demesne, demi-mondaine, detain, disdain, domain, domaine, drain, Duane, Dwane, Elaine, entertain, entrain, explain, fain, fane, feign, gain, Germaine, germane, grain, humane, Hussein, Jain, Jane, Jermaine, Kane, La Fontaine, lain, lane, legerdemain, Lorraine, main, Maine, maintain, mane, mise en scène, Montaigne, moraine, mundane, obtain, ordain, Paine, pane, pertain, plain, plane, Port-of-Spain, profane, rain, Raine, refrain, reign, rein, retain, romaine, sane, Seine, Shane, Sinn Fein, skein, slain, Spain, Spillane, sprain, stain, strain, sustain, swain, terrain, thane, train, twain, Ujjain, Ukraine, underlain, urbane, vain, vane, vein, Verlaine, vicereine, wain, wane, Wayne
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.