Not suitable or proper in the circumstances: there are penalties for inappropriate behaviour it would be inappropriate for me to comment
More example sentences
- Moreover, the ubiquity of email can lead to its use in inappropriate circumstances.
- For some reason running through a shop seems to be inappropriate behaviour.
- There are many sorts of inappropriate behaviour from which our children need protection.
unsuitable, unfitting, ill-suited, unseemly, unbecoming, unprofessional, unfit, unbefitting, indecorous, improper, lacking in propriety, ungentlemanly, unladylike;
incongruous, out of place, out of keeping, wrong, amiss, inapposite, inapt;
inexpedient, inadvisable, injudicious, ill-advised, ill-judged, ill-considered, infelicitous, unfortunate, regrettable, misguided, misplaced, ill-timed, untimely, inopportune, undue, untoward, tactless, tasteless, in poor/bad taste, undesirable
informal out of order
- Example sentences
- Our objections have been based upon the inappropriateness of the design, scale, materials and siting of their ill conceived new building, so close to a conservation area.
- The Baroness (as she was known after her marriage to a shifty nobleman) and her friends worshipped novelty, inappropriateness, audacity, not piously but with ferocious abandon.
- Similarly, although it would not be a crime, for example, to smoke pot on the steps of Parliament or in a playground, police could increase the fine depending on the perceived inappropriateness of the act.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: in|appro|pri¦ate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.