- Before I met my acupuncturist, my love life was in disarray: acute disappointments, incongruent pairings, missing variables (sense of humor, stable income, deodorant).
- Although I listened in silence, his comments were strikingly incongruent with the vivid descriptions that Chole's fishermen gave of the destruction that dynamiting caused the reefs.
- But it seems a little incongruent for a nation so concerned with its democratic credentials to refuse access to a journalist simply because she says the wrong things, and isn't likely to fall under a steam-roller any time soon.
1.1 Chemistry (Of melting, dissolution, or other process) affecting the components of an alloy or other substance differently.
- In the first, the phylogenies of different genes were shown to be incongruent, indicating recombination between the genes.
- These results point to potential problems that may be encountered in this type of phylogenetic analysis due to substitution rate variability between different gene segments leading to incongruent phylogenies.
- Molecular phylogenies of lineages that split from one another in short succession are often difficult to resolve because different loci and different sites within the same locus yield incongruent relationships.
- Example sentences
- But one does have to be very stupid indeed to accept both the rhetoric and substance of the present administration without any sense of the incongruence of the two.
- Human existence is an ongoing balancing act between being a body and having a body… it is also possible that the sense of humor repeatedly perceives the built-in incongruence of being human.
- Contrarily, a lack of consistency, or incongruence, between the theoretical principles and the programmatic practices results in a failure of a dual language program to achieve the desired linguistic and academic outcomes.
- Example sentences
- There certainly are enough plot twists and cheesy humor - aided by the incongruently Americanish dubbed voices - to keep your story appetite satisfied, but come on.
- The biotite melts incongruently at the highest grades with the production of orthopyroxene and ilmenite.
- An anamorphic - and incongruently explosive - trailer, eight screens of tepid production notes, and bios of the cast, writers and directors put the exclamation point on this sentence.
Late Middle English: from Latin incongruent-, from in- 'not' + congruent- 'meeting together' (see congruent).
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: in|con¦gru¦ent
Definition of incongruent in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.