Definition of incongruent in English:
- Before I met my acupuncturist, my love life was in disarray: acute disappointments, incongruent pairings, missing variables (sense of humor, stable income, deodorant).
- Although I listened in silence, his comments were strikingly incongruent with the vivid descriptions that Chole's fishermen gave of the destruction that dynamiting caused the reefs.
- But it seems a little incongruent for a nation so concerned with its democratic credentials to refuse access to a journalist simply because she says the wrong things, and isn't likely to fall under a steam-roller any time soon.
1.1 Chemistry (Of melting, dissolution, or other process) affecting the components of an alloy or other substance differently.
- In the first, the phylogenies of different genes were shown to be incongruent, indicating recombination between the genes.
- These results point to potential problems that may be encountered in this type of phylogenetic analysis due to substitution rate variability between different gene segments leading to incongruent phylogenies.
- Molecular phylogenies of lineages that split from one another in short succession are often difficult to resolve because different loci and different sites within the same locus yield incongruent relationships.
- Example sentences
- But one does have to be very stupid indeed to accept both the rhetoric and substance of the present administration without any sense of the incongruence of the two.
- Human existence is an ongoing balancing act between being a body and having a body… it is also possible that the sense of humor repeatedly perceives the built-in incongruence of being human.
- Contrarily, a lack of consistency, or incongruence, between the theoretical principles and the programmatic practices results in a failure of a dual language program to achieve the desired linguistic and academic outcomes.
- Example sentences
- There certainly are enough plot twists and cheesy humor - aided by the incongruently Americanish dubbed voices - to keep your story appetite satisfied, but come on.
- The biotite melts incongruently at the highest grades with the production of orthopyroxene and ilmenite.
- An anamorphic - and incongruently explosive - trailer, eight screens of tepid production notes, and bios of the cast, writers and directors put the exclamation point on this sentence.
Definition of incongruent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan