Definition of inconvertible in English:
1Not able to be changed in form, function, or character.
- These citizens will be issued a non-extendable and inconvertible 30-day stay permit free of charge.
- ‘Don't try to convert the inconvertible,’ he counsels.
- The camera still tended toward the production of noisy clusters of qualitative, subjective, illegible, and inconvertible stuff.
1.1(Of currency) not able to be converted into another form on demand.
- This, most regrettably, has gone much beyond a precarious domestic Credit scheme and a foray into inconvertible currencies.
- In summation, the Americans were suffering the natural aftereffects of a long war financed by debt and inflation, and exacerbated by the continuing circulation of inconvertible paper currency.
- The historian Sumner added that they had the effect of driving specie from circulation, creating a currency of inconvertible and depreciated paper, and fueling a business cycle of boom and bust.
- Example sentences
- But venture capitalists are unwilling to invest in unlisted companies since they cannot retrieve their profits due to the inconvertibility of the yuan.
- China, unlike its crisis-prone neighbors, did not dismantle capital controls or currency inconvertibility during the 1990s, and was less prone to capital flight and currency speculation as a result.
- The cover required to deal with exchange rate and inconvertibility risk are very different in nature.
- Example sentences
- Do you or any of your colleagues, believe for a moment that sustainability and stewardship are not directly and inconvertibly linked?
- It takes a book like the Selfish Gene to convince you inconvertibly.
- One consequence of this exercise is that the execution of Socrates can be concluded to be a logical redundancy as the syllogism had already inconvertibly established the mortality of Socrates prior to any ingestion of hemlock.
Definition of inconvertible in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India