1Not susceptible to corruption, especially by bribery.
- As celebrated in their own eyes, these are always the true, the fearless, and the incorruptible revealers of corruption.
- For us who were sinful, he gave up the holy one; for the wicked the innocent one; the just one for the unjust; the incorruptible one for corruptible men; and for us mortals the immortal one.
- His protagonist-heroes, especially the Chief Justice in The Lawyer and the Libertine and the film director in Appointment at Amalfi, show a scrupulous and incorruptible concern for truth and justice.
2Not subject to death or decay; everlasting.
- I am about to receive the incorruptible, indestructible, ever-living Seed of the Word of God.
- Earthly things were mortal - subject to change and transition - while the stars and planets were eternal and incorruptible.
- By nature they are eternal and incorruptible, but Eriugena also thinks of individual created things as located spatially and temporally.
- Example sentences
- Integrity implies trustworthiness and incorruptibility to a degree that one is incapable of being false to a trust, responsibility, or pledge.
- That says an awful lot about the integrity and incorruptibility of the man.
- They see little potential for abuse, because they believe that by virtue of his arriving at the ‘correct’ leftist viewpoint, an individual has demonstrated his intellectual and moral incorruptibility.
- Example sentences
- Orwell saw the merit of the English judges as lying in their interpretation of the law according to the books and in their doing so incorruptibly.
- The good is rescued from the forces of cynicism and betrayal by a hero who is simply yet incorruptibly himself: his guilelessness is a kind of saving grace.
- And he knew that she actually enjoyed sharing and keeping those secrets, that she was incorruptibly loyal to him.
Middle English: from Old French, or from ecclesiastical Latin incorruptibilis, from in- 'not' + corruptibilis 'corruptible'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.