Definition of indie in English:
1(Of a pop group, record label, or film company) not belonging or affiliated to a major record or film company.
- One does not normally think of labels milking the minor successes of lo-fi indie groups, but apparently it happens.
- Are they a natural conclusion to what the girl-led indie groups of the mid 90's didn't finish?
- Borrowing from all sorts of hip indie groups, it featured 14 musicians, eight of whom had songwriting credits.
1.1Characteristic of the deliberately unpolished or uncommercialized style of small independent pop groups.
- Their image is definitely at odds with a music scene pre-occupied with gravity defying hair styles and pre-requisitioned indie uniforms.
- You can tell that he's quite deliberately outgrown his indie audience now because you actually enjoy hearing him sing.
- This style of indie pop often takes the latter route, making it easy to overlook but that much more seductive.
nounBack to top
1A small independent pop group, record label, or film company.
- After the big sellers - the Christmas albums - are done for the season, the record stores stock the indies again, so now we're seeing a big difference.
- Possessing licensing deals with the major labels and indies has become an important selling point to attract consumers away from the free file-trading sites.
- Napster Canada has licences from the big five labels as well as indies.
1.1 [mass noun] Indie music regarded as a genre.
- Even beyond indies vs. studio films, there became a schism at the studios.
- I'm just as disenchanted with American indies as studio films.
- He closes by examining the few films - mostly little-known indies - that he believes portray the city in a fuller, truer fashion.
1920s (first used with reference to film production): abbreviation of independent.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia