Diligent and hard-working: an industrious people striving to make their country prosperous
More example sentences
- He struck me as being particularly hardworking, energetic and industrious.
- A very hard working and industrious farmer, he was an excellent family man and a member of an old and respected family.
- A member of a respected family she was a hard working industrious lady.
hard-working, diligent, assiduous, sedulous, conscientious, steady, painstaking, persistent, persevering, pertinacious, unflagging, untiring, tireless, indefatigable, studious;
busy, busy as a bee, active, bustling, energetic, on the go, vigorous, determined, dynamic, driven, zealous, productive;
with one's shoulder to the wheel, with one's nose to the grindstone
- Example sentences
- They spent hours copying things out of books and don't know how to learn industriously on their own.
- But seriously, let us highlight the efforts of those who industriously earn the moolah, which buys them that great pair of shoes that they absolutely must-have.
- With both defences working industriously they succeeded in minimising scoring chances during the first half exchanges.
- Example sentences
- This image of industriousness - echoed in various forms on walls throughout the village - also underscores indigenous agency.
- No special point this evening, other than I'm thinking that the way to creative industriousness in my leisure hours may well be through being leisurely more generally.
- They greatly impress me with their intellectual and behavior-analytic skills and their consistent industriousness.
Late 15th century (in the sense 'skilful, clever, ingenious'): from French industrieux or late Latin industriosus, from Latin industria 'diligence'.
Words that rhyme with industriousillustrious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.