verb(be infatuated with)
- Be inspired with an intense but short-lived passion or admiration for: she is infatuated with a handsome police chief (as adjective infatuated) an infatuated teenagerMore example sentences
besotted, in love, love-struck, head over heels in love, hopelessly in love, obsessed, taken; passionate about, consumed with desire for, (greatly) enamoured of, very attracted to, devoted to, charmed by, captivated by, enchanted by, beguiled by, bewitched by, fascinated by, enraptured by, under the spell of, hypnotized by• informal smitten with, sweet on, keen on, gone on, mad about, wild about, crazy about, nuts about, potty about, stuck on, hung up on, turned on by, swept off one's feet by, bowled over by, carrying a torch forNorth American • informal twitterpated by
- Still a teenager, Lou became infatuated with her newfound benefactor and yielded to his seductions.
- Alex becomes intensely infatuated with a female executive, while Victoria continues to befriend a classmate in crisis.
- She became infatuated with the handsome Fergus and he was able to elicit the secret of his opponent's strength.
mid 16th century: from Latin infatuat- 'made foolish', from the verb infatuare, from in- 'into' + fatuus 'foolish'.
More definitions of infatuateDefinition of infatuate in:
- The US English dictionary