Definition of infinitive in English:
The basic form of a verb, without an inflection binding it to a particular subject or tense (e.g. see in we came to see, let him see).
- He has banned infinitives as well as tensed verbs entirely from his writing, but he does exempt past participles from his linguistic Nuremberg Laws.
- Instead, there is the contrast between infinitives introduced by the prepositions à and de.
- Thus, if a language has long-distance reflexivization with indicatives, then it will necessarily have it with (if relevant) subjunctives, infinitives, small clauses, and NPs.
adjectiveBack to top
Having or involving the basic form of a verb: infinitive clauses
More example sentences
- In such instances, finite and infinitive clauses are commonly postposed and anticipatory it takes their place in subject position: ‘It is obvious that nobody understands me’; ‘It was a serious mistake to accuse them of negligence.’
- To make my job easier, I marked only finite subordinate clauses, not infinitive clauses or nominalizations of various sorts, and not main clauses strung together by coordinators like ‘and’ and ‘but’.
- Deleuze's ‘pure event’ subsists in language as infinitive verbs, to die, to diet, etc. and is actualised by a ‘conceptual personae’ as a ‘concept’.
- Example sentences
- It's stated as rhetorical advice, but the examples slide into some very dubious syntax, in particular a coordination of nominal gerunds with an infinitival VP.
- Far from being ungrammatical, split infinitives are (as we have explained before on Language Log) always an option for modifiers of infinitival clauses, and sometimes the only option.
- Shed would be encountered as a plain form (in infinitival clauses), as a plain present (used when the subject is not 3rd singular), as a past participle, and as a preterite.
Definition of infinitive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan