Definition of infundibulum in English:
noun (plural infundibula ˌɪnfʌnˈdɪbjʊlə)Anatomy & Zoology
1A funnel-shaped cavity or structure.
- The surgeon performs lateral retraction of the junction of the infundibulum (ie, funnel-shaped passage or structure) of the gallbladder and cystic duct.
- Simultaneous contraction of the meridional and radial muscles probably flattens the infundibular surface and bends the rim of the infundibulum towards the acetabulum.
- The cuticle is shed from the infundibulum and the acetabulum simultaneously as a single unit.
1.1The hollow stalk which connects the hypothalamus and the posterior pituitary gland.
- The neurohypophysis proper comprises the median eminence of the tuber cinereum, the infundibulum, the pituitary stalk, and the posterior or neural lobe of the pituitary gland.
- Unlike hypothalamic gangliocytomas, also known as neuronal hamartomas, pituitary gangliocytomas are not attached to the infundibulum or hypothalamus and tend to be endocrinologically active.
- These strikingly similar findings provide additional support for the claim that the total number of spermatozoa in eggs not only reflects the abundance of spermatozoa in the infundibulum, but also that within the entire oviduct.
- Example sentences
- Bilateral uncal and tonsillar herniations were present, and a thick graywhite exudate entrapped the vasculature of the circle of Willis, optic chiasm, infundibular stalk, and cranial nerves.
- The neurohypophysis, or posterior pituitary, is derived from an evagination of the infundibular portion of the diencephalon of the brain.
- The 3rd ventricle is a vertically oriented slit which has a small ventral extension (the infundibular recess).
Mid 16th century: from Latin, 'funnel', from infundere 'pour in'.
Definition of infundibulum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.