Definition of inherent in English:
1Existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute: any form of mountaineering has its inherent dangers
More example sentences
- You may question his characters' motivation, but never doubt their sincerity or inherent goodness.
- I have always been conscious of the inherent dangers to our natural world from our industry.
- The right to exclude non-citizens is an inherent attribute of sovereignty, but the scope of the exclusion is a matter of policy.
essential, fundamental, basic, implicit, structural, characteristic, organic;
1.1 Law Vested in (someone) as a right or privilege.
- In my opinion, this is not a matter falling within my inherent jurisdiction as a superior court judge.
- I would regard them as powers which are inherent in its jurisdiction.
- It does not indicate that the court has an inherent power to enlarge a statutory time limit.
Late 16th century: from Latin inhaerent- 'sticking to', from the verb inhaerere, from in- 'in, towards' + haerere 'to stick'.
- Example sentences
- At the same time, he underlined the frame's evident inherence in the language of photographic pictures.
- The origin of this criticism is affirmative: it is because Pope believed unshakably in the inherence of truth in nature, that he could express so negatively his anxiety at seeing it debased.
- There is, after all, a tendency to interpret his position as being an advocation of simple, spontaneous relations, and a nostalgic desire for some primordial inherence in Being.
- Example sentences
- Plagiarism amounts to academic theft and it is an inherently dishonest practice.
- There is nothing inherently wicked about a policy which seeks to put an end to this exploitation.
- Being raised by somebody in that culture inherently makes you connected to that culture.
Pronunciation: /ɪnˈhɪər(ə)ns/ /ɪnˈhɛr(ə)ns/noun
Words that rhyme with inherentaberrant, deterrent, errant, knight-errant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan