Definition of inherent in English:
1Existing in something as a permanent, essential, or characteristic attribute: any form of mountaineering has its inherent dangers
More example sentences
- You may question his characters' motivation, but never doubt their sincerity or inherent goodness.
- I have always been conscious of the inherent dangers to our natural world from our industry.
- The right to exclude non-citizens is an inherent attribute of sovereignty, but the scope of the exclusion is a matter of policy.
essential, fundamental, basic, implicit, structural, characteristic, organic;
1.1 Law Vested in (someone) as a right or privilege.
- In my opinion, this is not a matter falling within my inherent jurisdiction as a superior court judge.
- I would regard them as powers which are inherent in its jurisdiction.
- It does not indicate that the court has an inherent power to enlarge a statutory time limit.
- Example sentences
- At the same time, he underlined the frame's evident inherence in the language of photographic pictures.
- The origin of this criticism is affirmative: it is because Pope believed unshakably in the inherence of truth in nature, that he could express so negatively his anxiety at seeing it debased.
- There is, after all, a tendency to interpret his position as being an advocation of simple, spontaneous relations, and a nostalgic desire for some primordial inherence in Being.
- Example sentences
- Plagiarism amounts to academic theft and it is an inherently dishonest practice.
- There is nothing inherently wicked about a policy which seeks to put an end to this exploitation.
- Being raised by somebody in that culture inherently makes you connected to that culture.
Pronunciation: /ɪnˈhɪər(ə)ns/ /ɪnˈhɛr(ə)ns/noun
Late 16th century: from Latin inhaerent- 'sticking to', from the verb inhaerere, from in- 'in, towards' + haerere 'to stick'.
Words that rhyme with inherentaberrant, deterrent, errant, knight-errant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.