noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A gonadal hormone which inhibits the secretion of follicle-stimulating hormone, under consideration as a potential male contraceptive.More example sentences
- More recently, a placental hormone, dimeric inhibin, has been reported elevated in DS and, if included in the screening protocol, will increase the detection rate of DS to 80%.
- They were focally positive for gastrin, somatostatin, and pancreatic polypeptide but tested negative for glucagon, serotonin, insulin, and inhibin.
- Induction of matrix receptor and inhibin may facilitate the inflammatory reaction in sepsis.
1930s: from Latin inhibere 'hinder' + -in1.
More definitions of inhibinDefinition of inhibin in:
- The US English dictionary