verb[with object] Anatomy & Zoology
Supply (an organ or other body part) with nerves.
More example sentences
- This diurnal variation in melatonin synthesis is brought about by norepinephrine secreted by the postganglionic sympathetic nerves that innervate the pineal gland.
- The greater superficial petrosal nerve carries the preganglionic parasympathetic fibres from the facial nerve to eventually innervate the lacrimal glands.
- Autonomic and somatic nerves innervate the penis.
- More example sentences
- In contrast to the innervation of the proximal esophagus, axons from vagal neurons synapse within ganglia of the myenteric plexus.
- A constant low level of tonic contraction also characterizes the parapharyngeal musculature, the striated muscles that share their innervation with the pharynx.
- However, in hatchling Rana the serotonergic system is arguably much more advanced since the innervation of the spinal cord by serotonergic axons by comparison with Xenopus is much more extensive.
Definition of innervate in:
- The US English dictionary